ASIO with Wineasio
One of the biggest problems in emulating win32 audio applications has been the lack of ASIO support in WINE. Fortunately drumfix has updated the WINE ASIO patch originally written by Robert to work with recent WINE version.
Following (big) applications have been tested successfully with wineasio:
- FL Studio 7 (aka Fruity Loops)
- Reaper (works perfect - and it's free, as in free beer)
- VSTHost (also free)
- Almost all well known Native Instruments VSTs, Intakt, Kore
Here follows a little Howto on getting wineasio to work correctly:
Install needed packages
First emerge these:
emerge -av wine wineasio
- wine should be version 0.9.37 from the overlay, or greater.
- the wineasio ebuild will pull in asio-sdk. You have to download that manually after accepting the Steinberg License and put the .zip to /usr/portage/disfiles
As user run the following command to make wineasio known
To configure Wine, run
Goto the Audio tab, and disable everything but ALSA (especially the WINE jack driver will cause troubles)
You will have to select a bit higher Framerate in qjackctl for certain applications. For example Fruity Loops 7 works well here with 1024 frames/period in my M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Wine ASIO will pass the selected values for buffer size and samplerate to the application, so all settings for that are made in jack! :)
Select Wine ASIO in the apps
Finally start your application, and select Wine ASIO as audio output driver, if not chosen automatically.